[Dixielandjazz] One way to get to the younger ...

John Huntsberger banjojohn at earthlink.net
Sat May 10 12:36:56 PDT 2008

... is to volunteer to play trad jazz at elementary, middle, and high
school assemblies or for the music teachers' classes and also to
volunteer to play at a nearby college or university student union.  In
all those places you will find kids that really dig the music and may
come up and ask you about it.  That's your chance to talk with them
about traditional jazz, its origins, why it's not heard on the radio/
television or in other venues.  We must start from the bottom again
and keep the faith to climb a ladder with steps far, far apart.  It
has worked for the banjo bands I've started in Oregon and Texas as
well as for a trad. jazz band I was in.
	But you've got to be willing to volunteer.  That seems to be what
some musicians don't feel they should do.  It's a shame.  All things
can't be handed to us nor should we expect people to come knocking on
our door.  Get out and do some footwork along with calling on
schools.  You will be rewarded when you see kids' faces light up on
hearing trad jazz.  John

John Huntsberger
Plectrum banjoist

Banjo music is moonlight in the