[Dixielandjazz] A Question From Igor

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 9 07:48:20 PDT 2008

Yes indeed Marke, I remember. I've been playing Monk Tunes as
Dixieland since about 1957, after having seen him many times in NYC
and getting to know him. Makes a lot of sense. After all Monk's
neighbor and early mentor was the legendary stride pianist James P.
Johnson. You can hear that influence in just about everything Monk
played, including Monk's solo piano renditions of  "Functional", a
unique "Stride piano" blues.

You know me, Marek, I'm firmly in the camp of those who believe that
Monk sometimes played "modern" Dixieland. And note that Roswell Rudd,
originally a Dixieland trombonist, brings a concert called
"Monksieland to eclectic venues around the world.

Cheers,
www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband