[Dixielandjazz] Igor's Question

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu May 8 14:10:48 PDT 2008

Hi,
As far as I am concerned, a band can play, in Wilbur de Paris' words,
"anything that can be jazzed on."  I'm often bored with hearing the
same things over and over again, played by disinterested musicians,
who are even more bored than I am.  However, I've had an exchange with
someone, either on this list or, more likely, on the Mississippi Rag
Bulletin Board (I strongly recommend that listmates should register on
that Board), who wanted to hear the same old warhorses again and
again, and to my question whether he did not mind taht musicians were
bored playing them, replied something like "they're there to entertain
us; if they are bored playing what we want, they should quit."

Someone brought up the example of the Worls Greatest Jazz Band as one
taht played new reportoire.  I have the record on which they do - but
on most of their "live" recordings they played the standard
repertoire.  Moreover, some of the "new" songs were not all that
jazzy.
Cheers