[Dixielandjazz] Igor's Question

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu May 8 13:16:24 PDT 2008

Igor,

Please remember that  the "alternative" songs you list are about 40
years - or more - old (Blue Bayou is the most recent, I think.)
Attracting "Boomers" to listening to this kind of music is tough,
getting folks who are now in their 20s and 30s can be even harder!
The California Repercussions do songs by Brittany Spears ("Toxic,")
Megadeath ("Enter Sandman" - which is in a medley with "Mr.
Sandman" ;-) and several "New Swing" songs from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
and the like. Our arrangements are close to the original versions -
we don't camp it up much (that is hard to do instrumentally with a 50
piece wind band.) However, our rendition of "Y.M.C.A." had the rather
mature audience on their feet, waving their hands in the air at
Sacramento a few years ago. (I was pleasantly surprised!)

Dave Richoux