[Dixielandjazz] Second Attempt - BARNES' JAZZ & SWING ON BBC RADIO FACES THE AXE - PLEASE HELP

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu May 8 07:37:05 PDT 2008

Once again our music is under threat by the BBC.
Please act quickly to keep jazz on BBC radio!

Would you please write to your local newspaper (if you are in the
Eastern Region of the UK) and the BBC Director General, Mark Thompson(
wherever you live)at:

British Broadcasting Corporation
Broadcasting House,
Portland Place,
London,
W1A 1AA

Here’s why!

Below is an e-mail I received from Paul Barnes, presenter of GOLD FOR
GROWN-UPS - the ONLY Three Hour Jazz, Swing and Popular music show on
the BBC:
Listen to the latest show on line. Click the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/norfolk/aod.shtml?norfolk/paul_barnes_norfolk

Paul says,
“I'm sorry to tell you that the writing would appear to be on the wall
for our Saturday music programme.

The contract has been renewed - but only for three months. This is
pending a "review" of the audience figures in the next quarter. The fact
is that the audience is not so large as the management would like it to
be for that time of day on a Saturday.

The reason for this is simple: not enough people know about the
programme's existence. The billings in the Radio Times and the local
press tell potential listeners nothing about the nature of the show,
which is why I am constantly urging friends of the show to write to
their local papers to tell them about it. As it is, the only way new
listeners can find the programme is if they happen on it by chance, or
if somebody tells them.

Ever since the programme began, over ten years ago, most letters and
e-mails from me have been signed off as follows:

"Stay tuned - AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS." So please do it”. End of e-mal

NOTE: BBC ESSEX HAS ALREADY CUT THE SHOW BY A THIRD!

With the sad passing Humph it seems that the BBC is endeavouring to bang
a nail into the coffin of jazz and swing music in the interests of
attracting the ever desirable young audience.

Just a look at the schedule of the national BBC Radio Two will reveal
that music stylistically different to rock and pop has no relevance,
except in ghetto shows which go out when the mainstream audience is busy
doing other things.

The ‘oldest’ items on today’s ‘Wogan’ Show were Presley’s ‘Heartbreak
Hotel’ and Buddy Holly’s ‘That’ll Be The Day’.

Not that recording date should have anything to do with it – good music
is still good music, whether recorded in 1928, 1958 or 2008.

There are plenty of current jazz acts producing fine CDS, many of which
are aired on Barnes’ show, yet never get a look in on the licence fee
funded, public radio network.

Not even Frank Sinatra (a mere ten years after his death) or Ella
Fitzgerald were considered worthy of airplay on today’s ‘Wogan’.

Forty years ago, Radio Two was set up to provide a wide breadth of
music, covering everything from Light Music, Brass Bands, Organs,
Gilbert & Sullivan to Jazz and Folk. This mix of genres enabled
listeners to be made aware of the vast musical heritage which recordings
have provided. Today Radio Two has become an old rocker’s station,
constantly regurgitating tired songs from the ‘60s through the ‘90s.

Listen to any BBC Local radio station and you will hear the very same
music.

Gone are the days when mainstream programmes would feature accessible,
traditional jazz, big band swing and the American song book, which
offered creativity and performances of the highest calibre.

This narrowing of musical diversity filters through society to the very
young. A local school concert in my local church last week, found the
primary school choir singing a medley of songs by:
Gershwin?

Porter?

Ellington?

Not on your life – the best they could muster was ABBA. What a sad
reflection on our dumbed down, throw away society.

The BBC under Lord Reith was there, not only to entertain, but to educate.

Until recently Radio Two at least paid lip service to Reith’s remit.

It had Parkingson and a decade ago the outstanding Benny Green. Humph
was an institution we hoped would go on forever.

Only the regional stations (and I will give credit where it is due), BBC
Essex, Cambridgeshire, Northampton, Norfolk and Suffolk, have
consistently acted the way Reith intended.

For ten years they have delighted listeners with ‘Gold For Grown-ups’.
In Paul Barnes they are blessed with a knowledgeable, skilled,
professional broadcaster who is in love with the music.

Two weeks ago he produced arguably the finest on-air tribute to Humph.

The show also helps the live music scene by informing it’s listeners of
up and coming gigs.

The Listen Again facility on the Internet has enabled untold numbers of
jazz fans to enjoy the very best of British broadcasting all over the world.

If you enjoy jazz and swing music or if you are musician, you should be
concerned at the way the BBC is going. Will you stand up and be counted?

Thank you in anticipation

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com