[Dixielandjazz] Question from Igor

Rick Zahniser rickz at usermail.com
Wed May 7 21:14:46 PDT 2008

LRG4003 at aol.com wrote:

> Igor does raise an interesting  point.  If "trad" groups were to  embrace and
> add more recent music to the repertoire, would the audience expand?  I'm not
> sure. Assuming it was melodic enough to be adaptable to  "trad" would the fact
> that it was being played in the "trad" style and  instrumentation mean that
> it cuts through to a younger or different generation  simply based on the fact
> that it is more familiar to them?
>
> I think, and have seen, that a younger audience responds strongly to well
> played, rhythmic "trad" and certainly swing music.  But if the tune were
> something from Mariah Carey's new release as opposed to
> "Alexander's Ragtime  Band" would it really make a difference?  Would they
> embrace it even  more?
>
> Perhaps, if young good looking people were playing it instead of  graybeards
> like myself.  But I'm not convinced its an issue of the  repertoire.
>
> K.C. Clarinet

Nice thoughtful response, KC!

I participate in a Mentoring program here in Heartland West, sponsored
by PPJASS (Pikes Peak Jazz And Swing Society) where we go out to high
schools and "mentor" (coach) high school players.  We find that many
young players are excited by jazz in general, and want to play it!!
(Isn't that GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  My only problem has been that we are
coaching "big bands" of young kids, and the teacher wants to give them
something complicated, when they would be thrilled to do something
fairly simply like "String of Pearls" or "Night Train." (buddy morrow)
The Big Band music thrilled you and me, and generations after, and it
has more potential than anyone imagines.  Anyway, I find it gratifying
that the kids today are really interested in jazz after they hear it.
(Ah, hah!! It has the same intrinsic value to THEM that it had -- and
still has -- for us!!)

Isn't that amazing?

Rick Jolley