[Dixielandjazz] Question from Igor

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Wed May 7 20:39:07 PDT 2008

Igor does raise an interesting  point.  If "trad" groups were to  embrace and
add more recent music to the repertoire, would the audience expand?  I'm not
sure. Assuming it was melodic enough to be adaptable to  "trad" would the fact
that it was being played in the "trad" style and  instrumentation mean that
it cuts through to a younger or different generation  simply based on the fact
that it is more familiar to them?

I think, and have seen, that a younger audience responds strongly to well
played, rhythmic "trad" and certainly swing music.  But if the tune were
something from Mariah Carey's new release as opposed to
"Alexander's Ragtime  Band" would it really make a difference?  Would they
embrace it even  more?

Perhaps, if young good looking people were playing it instead of  graybeards
like myself.  But I'm not convinced its an issue of the  repertoire.

K.C. Clarinet

favorites at AOL Food.