[Dixielandjazz] Franz Jackson

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Wed May 7 08:43:26 PDT 2008

If that news is correct, then we have lost a legend in Franz' passing. I
often heard him while I was working in the house band at Jazz Ltd. in
the '60's His band played a near north location, and on our Thursday off
nights Jean and I would often come in to hear him play. I frankly
thought he'd be here forever, and at times it seemed like he had been,
then he'd play or sing and then we'd question if he was really a teen in
disguise -- such youthful fun in his style.
Jim Beebe and I would also often drop in to another joint on Rush Street
when Franz was on and I thought that he must know every jazz song in the
play book, including some I'd never heard of but just had to get the
lead to .
Franz was a gentleman of the first order -- the most polite man in all
of Chicago. If he'd have run for mayor he would have won by a landslide.
Folks just loved the guy. The fact that he played his ass off just added
to his charm. Had not heard him for the last decade, but I recall his
playing in my mind's image and sound.
If anyone gets  more details and confirmation of this news, please post
it a.s.a.p.
Don Ingle