[Dixielandjazz] Kentucky Derby Party - was my spacepages

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 6 10:52:44 PDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 12:55 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> "John Mumford" <john at jazzbanjo.com> wrote:
>
> I have been reading your emails for awhile about how the younger
> audience is an untapped market and I have to say that you are right on
> about that. Over this last weekend our trad. jazz band played for a
> private party. Originally a more modern jazz group was considered. The
> party was themed around the Kentucky Derby. Everyone wore outfits as
> if
> they where going to the derby in stylized clothes of an earlier era.
> Our
> trumpet player, who plays with both groups, suggested that they might
> want a "Dixieland" band instead to go with the theme. We got the job
> and
> the age group of everyone there (except the band) was "mid thirties to
> early twenties. Not only did they like the music, they also asked us
> play longer. We overheard people calling on their cell phones telling
> their friends that they had to come to the party because the band
> (music) was great.

Hey John, thanks.

We did a private Kentucky Derby Party also, for the Alumni of the
Philadelphia College of Optometry. Audience varied from 20s and 30s to
60s. All the ladies wore hats,and current Kentucky Derby dresses,
etc.  It was a marvelous event. Booked through an agent who told me
yesterday that it was superbly received, and they received many
compliments etc.  The band knew that because of the reception we got
from all generations there. In addition to our gig pay (generous), we
received $120 in unsolicited tips from some of the people who were
there.

No question about it, the younger generations love this music when it
is presented properly. And by that I simply mean what Igor Glenn
recently told me."Of course they love the music, all we (the bands)
have to do is meet them halfway instead of trying to shove 1947 (or
1920 - 30) down their throats."

Playing where the kids are is where it's at. No different from the
scene when we were kids. And the bands, Watters, Murphy, Condon, et
al, met us kids halfway.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com