[Dixielandjazz] Why Bands should have Myspace pages.

John Mumford john at jazzbanjo.com
Tue May 6 08:48:31 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen G Barbone

For years I've been preaching that bands should take some
responsibility for the lack of OKOM gigs and that we should play where
the kids are etc

Steve,

I have been reading your emails for awhile about how the younger
audience is an untapped market and I have to say that you are right on
about that. Over this last weekend our trad. jazz band played for a
private party. Originally a more modern jazz group was considered. The
party was themed around the Kentucky Derby. Everyone wore outfits as if
they where going to the derby in stylized clothes of an earlier era. Our
trumpet player, who plays with both groups, suggested that they might
want a "Dixieland" band instead to go with the theme. We got the job and
the age group of everyone there (except the band) was "mid thirties to
early twenties. Not only did they like the music, they also asked us to
play longer. We overheard people calling on their cell phones telling
their friends that they had to come to the party because the band
(music) was great.

John Mumford
http://www.jubileehot7.com