[Dixielandjazz] Duvivier or Slam?

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon May 5 14:11:06 PDT 2008

If anybody wants to bet me at odds to a hundred to one
that the bassist in the clip I saw was Slam Stewart
and not as I wrote M. Duvivier, please e-mail and I'll
send you the details of how to pay.
When Benny Carter said the same man I saw on the clip
was George Duvivier, in a televised concert, I
believed him, and lo in my collection of publications
the name Duvivier occurs under the photograph of the
guy with the same distinctive glasses and moustache
(the latter like the nose his own).
Slam I even saw in the flesh, very different authentic
moustache too, and anyone who wishes to check further
can GO OGLE...  or do I mean google?
Of course there was a cheap LP once with no picture
and the statement in the notes, "Charlie Parker, the
faceless man, for almost no photograph exists,"  and
if you want something really pointless to argue about,
you can decide whether that was worse than the cheap
Parker CD which sounded like Parker and was Parker but
bore an image of Johnny Hodges.
Of course there are no photographs either of Johnny
Hodges or Miles Davis the very obscure (genuine,
presumably now long deceased)  blues pianists, never
to be confused with ....