[Dixielandjazz] Snip from NY TIMES article

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Sun May 4 09:10:04 PDT 2008

Your first sentence seems to indicate that you are in N.O., Steve....is that
correct?

Donna's is quite the place, isn't it?  Last time we were there was during
French Quarter Festival,  the April before Katrina.  Tom McD was playing
with Tim Laughlin, Matt Perrine and I cannot remember the drummer but he was
also excellent.

Interesting to note Chinen's  comments on the clarinet / piano combo on the
rag, w/ McDermott and Christopher:  "The spine-tingling moment of the set
was a clarinet-and-piano performance of Scott Joplin's "Pine Apple Rag,"
alive with imagination and purpose. "

I'm sure it WAS "spine-tingling," to say the least, with those two.

Along similar lines, Jeff Barnhart, pianist, and his wife, Anne,  on flute,
as "Ivory and Gold," have been performing as a flute / piano duo for several
years now, and do some splendid work.   They have added drummer Danny Coots
in the past few years.    Many rags included,  along with other genres.  Not
all OKOM, but all great, whether in person or on one of their CDs.

http://www.jeffbarnhart.com/ivoryandgold.html

Jane Lynch

Janie
janie39 at socal.rr.com

"Last night I hit Donna's, an endearingly shabby joint on North Rampart
Street along the northwestern edge of the French Quarter. The
headliners were Evan Christopher, a clarinetist, and Tom McDermott, a
pianist. They made the best music I heard yesterday."

Nate Chinen reviewed some N. O performances. Here's his snip on Evan
Christopher.

Cheers,
Steve barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Mr. Christopher and Mr. McDermott qualify as traditional jazz
musicians, and their enthusiastic following consists of traditional
jazz fans. But there's nothing conservative about what they played
last night, with their quartet. (During a new arrangement of the
"Tishomingo Blues," Mr. Christopher advised a percussionist to think
"spacier, like Sun Ra.") Whether they were playing Jelly Roll Morton's
"Mamanita" or a Brazilian choro tune, they made the music feel fresh.
The rickety quality that haunts so much early-jazz repertory was
nowhere to be found.