[Dixielandjazz] Royal Crown Revue and horn based bands.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Mar 31 15:28:33 PDT 2008

Generations of guitar bands have left
> the popular music scene in ruins.
_______________________________________

I am completely with you - personally I can't get to the OFF button fast
enough when a guitar band comes on.  Actually I am a guitar lover.  I played
for many years.  Not particularly well compared to many but OK.  It's a
tough instrument and you need competent teachers to do well.  You really
can't treat it as a double.  It's an instrument that is a beautiful thing if
played with any sort of sensitivity.  That's just my point.  With
amplification and electronic gadgets it just isn't

Guitar players have tried desperately to change things but what has happened
is they have made things more boring.  First came the wah wah and the fuzz
box.  Now there are whole pedal boards with every sort of gimmick known to
man.  They are instantly misused and overused by the players and almost
never with taste.

I think everyone is aware of the repetitious nature of the guitar band and
the typical tune.  I personally think that guitar bands are more of an
assault than anything else.  It's sad to waste a lot of talent on a, IMHO,
instrument that is going nowhere in the next 50 years.  The instrument has
become BORING!  Solos are more often than not something that resembles a
mosquito buzzing around your ears.  Have you ever noticed that most of the
solos rarely cover more than a third or the easy reach of the hand and
almost never incorporate chords as well as melody lines.  That is difficult
to do and just isn't done much.

I have played professionally for 50 years.  My main instrument the Tenor has
been popular for long before and I assume will stay that way long after I am
long gone.  I couldn't say that the guitar will have that kind of longevity.
There must be a lot of people out there that share my feeling about it.

I think real instruments have a character and take on the characteristics of
the player and become an extension of the person playing it.  Sound has to
be produced by the person and the instrument is of less importance whereas
the guitar it's exactly the opposite.

When a kid takes a band instrument he learns just thousands of things about
the production of music ranging from dynamics to tone production and the
balance that it takes whereas guitar bands do all that in a computer.  If
you don't learn how to play musically it's a pretty good bet that you won't.

After having said all that I enjoy good musicians playing the instrument
with good taste who are not assaulting my musical taste or my ears with
gadgets, volume or dumb music.

>From the business that the many local guitar stores do I would guess that
kids are trying to buy good sound rather than take the typical 15-20 years
to do it the other way with a horn.
Larry
StL