[Dixielandjazz] Can Rusher

Glen Page gpage at dccnet.com
Sat Mar 29 17:46:39 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I remember the 2002 issue. I almost agree with Steve's assessment in the
last paragraph except for one vital point.

How often are towels delivered in a can? A can rusher may or may not have
delivered towels, there could have been an adequate supply in the room,BUT
the next vital item needed could not have been on tap, pardon the pun, in
the room at that time . Hot water to complete the ablutions was what the
"can rusher" delivered. I seem to recall Alan Lomax mentioning this in
"Mister Jelly Roll"but I cannot dig through it now in case somebody else
comes up with what must be the real answer too.

In 2002 I recall that I expressed my regret at not having been trained to be
a "can rusher"during my educational years.Surely this would have lead to
openings that would provide an entre into the world of jazz amongst the
giants and lesser known performers, even if the music in that environment
was probably provided by the "professors" and not Keppard and Oliver et
al.Jelly was a giant too but I fear that we know too little of the likes of
his fellow pianists who provided the musical background. Somebody may wish
to contact Mike Meddings in the UK or Butch Thompson.

Cheers,

Glen Page.