[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Club in NSW OZ

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 22 21:16:47 PDT 2008

Robin Gaskell asked:

["I am retired in a country town in NSW, Australia, and I am seeking advice on the dos and don'ts of setting up a small jazz club in the town. Lithgow is in the tablelands just west of the Blue Mountains behind Sydney:"]

It would seem to be a good idea Robin, seeing as how Lithgow has the reputation of being the most boring country town in NSW - Railways and coal, and not much of that these days. (Insert Smiley)

It seems to me you have to first ensure there are indeed enough people out there who would be interested enough to attend a jazz club. The pre and baby boomers are the natural audience, as jazz was the music of their youth, but I have found in a similar venture up here in Queensland that they are not prepared to spend any money on it. They would prefer to hear any kind of music for free in the local RSL. And for the normal reasons (booze buses and old age) they don't drink much and therefore are not attractive to the pub owners.

Notwithstanding there are pockets of jazz interest, as can be gauged from a couple of successful clubs on the South Coast of NSW. Gees, up here on the Gold Coast they even have a proper jazz radio station, two jazz clubs and sundry bands playing around the town. Again, largely due to those retired sea-breeze baby boomers - musicians and audience!

I agree you should start with an informal atmosphere and perhaps have attendees put money into a jug rather than have a set fee they perhaps cannot afford. If you start to attract people who want to eat and drink, you could also ask the pub for a substantial donation. When you want to use a pro band, the policy can be changed for that night only, with a proper door entry price. The one musician I know who is more or less guaranteed to fill a club is Bob Barnard, so be sure to make him your first choice. I guess you know that anyway.

Form some associations with other jazz clubs and make sure you get the word around at the many jazz festivals in NSW. Get some PR into the local newspapers, on local community radio, and on the notice boards around town.

Go for it Robin!!!

If that does not work, then try the alternative of making the music (STILL JAZZ!) interesting enough for anyone, young or old, to listen to it. After four years of banging my head against a brick wall, that is where I am at right now and we are about to hit the pubs with a 'revitalized' band - lots of sing-along vocals, tin whistle solos etc., as well as good jazz content. I think sometimes we jazz types get a bit too serious about our music and forget the entertainment factor. Heck, I think I am becoming affected by the propaganda of people saying the same thing on this list for the last few years, so why not do this anyway?

Now where is my bowler hat? Or has that been done?

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
REDLAND BAY