[Dixielandjazz] Audentior -- sapere aude!

sep troelstra sepwill at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 22 02:01:16 PDT 2008

Being relatively new to the list and mainly lurking so far, yesterday I found out that I have to use the "reply all" option to get a message to the list (I'm on other lists where the simple "reply" does the job), so my mail only got to the inquirer Gerard Bielderman, which is ok of course.

The funny thing indeed is that you find both spellings "audentior" and "audientor" (even in the same Latin phrases), whereas my conclusion (along with Robert Calder) would be that only one can ce correct. My high school Latin also dates from many years ago, but I would also go for "audentior". This is supported by the number of Google hits: 15,200 for audentior and only 914 for audientor.

Sep