[Dixielandjazz] Audentior March

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 10:02:28 PDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 10:36 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

>  "Gerard Bielderman"
> Help wanted.
> Acker Bilk - as a member of Johnny Bastable's Chosen Six - recorded
> in 1957
> a track composed by the trumpeter of the session, Derek Saunders. It
> was
> originally issued on the 77 label as AUDENTIOR MARCH. Right now Lake
> Records
> has released a double CD "Vintage Acker Bilk" (LACD257) and here the
> spelling is: AUDIENTOR MARCH. Note the difference!
> I've searched on the internet in English dictionaries but both
> spellings are
> unknown!
> Who can solve this "problem" and tell me what the word means? Has it
> something to do with an audience?

Hi Gerald

Both spellings indicate that it may well derive from ancient Latin.
See below latin word forms and then the meaning of the word if it is
indeed derived from one of those Latin spellings. (I put in the
capitalizations)

audens, audentis (gen.), AUDENTIOR -OR -us, audentissimus -a -um
(meaning)

daring, bold, courageous; characterized by boldness/license of
expression;

One guess is that it translates to Bold March, or March of the
Courageous etc.

Another hint comes from Virgil's Aenid.

"Tu Ne Cede Malis Sed Contra Audentior Ito" which loosely translates to"
Do not give in to misfortunes but advance boldly against them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband