[Dixielandjazz] Short Question...continued

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 19 17:34:06 PDT 2008

Aye  it is Welsh , a toast good Health,  another language that I'm trying to learn. In fact my Internet name is Welsh for "Good Morning"

    Yes, I remember the "Sheilas" well,  on my trip down under..

  As to music content  "Way down Yonder ------- .  ( Sorry Bob)

  Slainte

  Ed

Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
  EDWIN COLTRIN wrote:
> Ah Yes those of you downunder, the Oz types, being cobbers instead of
> blokes. And truly miles from the mother tongue.

Dear Ed. Me ole mate/cobber,
No, no, not at all.
'Cobber' (now a little-used term) was probably derived from the old
British term 'cob' (to form a friendship with) or, possibly, the
Yiddish 'chaber' (comrade) and means a mate or friend.
Blokes are men.
[Incidentally, women are sheilas, which has an Australian-Catholic
Irish connection.]
Having been married to a Scot (born and bred in Paisley) I can
pronounce 'Slainte' but, for some reason, only with an Australian
accent!

> Lechyd da or Leichyd da sounds Welsh to me.

Jazz connection: I can't think of one, but maybe Don Ingle or Oz mate
Max Hughes (a bloody good bloke) can.
Kind regards,
Bill.