[Dixielandjazz] soprano fun

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 17 16:28:08 PDT 2008

>>That's an interesting idea, Russ. And I bet that if kilts were the
>> uniform, the sound would be convincing too!
>> -- Paul Edgerton

Comments like that suggest the possibility, if they are
made by the owner of s straight soprano, in earshot of
so large and intolerant a Scotsman as I am, of the person
suddenly becoming the owner of a curved one, though in
order to play it he'd have to speak nicely and get me to
unwrap it from around his neck . . . . . .  ????

OK, as long as Paul's joking, so am I!  And I do remember
Stanley Dance's comment at Newport long ago, to the effect:
'We heard what turned out to have been Coltrane's soprano.
"Scotland is represented?" we inquired.'

But then that admirable critic was nonetheless an
Englishman too.