[Dixielandjazz] C-melody sax

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Mar 17 16:02:09 PDT 2008

I knew someone would start naming some guys that could bring it off but I
will maintain that it takes a very good trombone player AND a very good
tenor player to make it work.

Someone sent me a recording of a band to make that point and they were good
but on careful listening they weren't playing at the same time or just doing
not much while the other instrument was playing.  If that's happening why
have both?

The two horns are voiced in the same range and unless the players (both of
them) are pretty good and work together a lot you will have train wrecks.
The problem is that you have too many ands and ifs.  I just don't think it's
a real practical thing.  Since I say that I might just point out that not
very many groups have that particular combination in them which leads me to
think that other's think so too.

If you do it then I think you should pat yourself on the back for making it
work and it can be done it's just not easy.  It takes special listening and
effort.  BTW I'm not including bands that use arrangements where everything
is crafted to make it work.  I have a bunch of Zep Meisner arrangements that
the tenor works quite well.
Larry
St.L