[Dixielandjazz] Valve Bones - a personal view.

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:59:09 PDT 2008

Don Ingle commented on the C-melody saxophone thread, so I think that
entitles me to comment on the valve trombone thread...

Don gets a wonderful, fat sound on his valve trombone. Anyone looking
to play that horn should be sure to check his work with the Sons of
Bix.

Then, get out and listen to Bob Brookmeyer for all the interesting
"trombonistic" things he does on a valve 'bone -- to say nothing of
his compositional approach to improvisation. And while you're at it,
there's Rob McConnell, Bob Enevoldson, Juan Tizol, Stu Williamson and
others -- each with a distinctive sound and approach.

For me, the most appealing thing about the valve 'bone is that it has
more manueverability in the lowest octave and can articulate just like
a trumpet or saxophone, so it fits into a mixed horn ensemble even
better than a slide trombone. I don't hear it as a "deficient"
trombone at all, but rather as distinctive and valuable voice.

-- Paul Edgerton