[Dixielandjazz] Ev'ntide

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 15:16:13 PDT 2008

Hi y'all,

Greetings from Bonny Scotland! I've just subscribed to the list and, since the Archive Search facility is disabled at present, I can't check whether anyone has raised the question of a lead sheet for Hoagy's tune "Ev'ntide", recorded by Louis Armstrong in the early 1930s. I've tried to source the piece via retail outlets selling sheet music, but it seems currently unavailable, at least in the UK. I've downloaded the Louis recording from redhotjazz.com and transcribed it as best I can, but it's not a great recording and naturally Louis is in the foreground and the band (and therefore the chords) are firmly in the background, so the subtleties of passing harmony are largely lost, at least to my ears. If anyone has a reliable set of chords, I'd be hugely grateful for a copy, as would the guys in my band who will have to play the arrangement that eventually emerges.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Mathieson