[Dixielandjazz] Love Dixieland, looking for specific artist

Heather J-S Boyle terpess at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 11:27:40 PDT 2008

‘Andrew Zarchy’ (sic) was a schoolmate of mine.  I knew him when he got his first professionalgig. He was brilliant and original from the start, and his gifts evolveddelightfully over the years. My favourite of his numbers was his lyrics to thetune ‘Nola’, accompanying himself in his deft way.

I don’t think it would disturb Andrew’s privacy a bit for me
to repeat something he told me regarding his change of surname. This had
nothing to do with the possibility of using his father’s name for professional advancement.

Andrew, as I, had a name difficult for strangers, teachersand, later, presenters to pronounce when they saw it written. It became irksomefor him, me and several others. To him: ‘Txarky?’
‘Zarckie’? ‘Charchie’? . To me:Rohe. How would you pronounce that?

Andrew told me this:

‘If you have control over anything in your life, it is the
name which you will most often hear and to which you must respond’.
I thought, righto!’, and then changed my own first twonames. I don’t  need a pronounceable namefor work purposes. I liked being called something I could bear to hear,regardless of who reads it out.

He also preferred to be called Andrew rather than Andy.

Heather Patricia Boyle
'I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions.'
---- Author Lillian Hellman, at a 1952 hearing of the Congressional Commission on Un-American Activities.
She had been asked to testify against others about 'Communist' activities.