[Dixielandjazz] mp3s from Jelly Roll piano rolls

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Sat Mar 15 13:20:41 PDT 2008

The following note was posted on a Jelly Roll Morton mail list, and I pass it along because the mp3s offered are of superb audio quality, and seem to be in stereo.  If you're a Jelly fan, you'll enjoy the download.

Larry Swain
I am a new member. I am 76 years old. I am a retired physician (work 1 day
a week) and since 2004 I have learned how to restore 78's  à la the late
Robert Parker, who turned Jelly roll into Stereo. This was my goal then.
Now I have learned how to add dynamics to piano rolls, to imitate the
sound of a real piano. I basically had slight-to-moderate interest in
early/vintage jazz until my aged, crippled mother came to live with us. We
remodeled the house to receive her,and we thought we were going to hasve
her a long time. But she was taken away from us in 2002 and after that, I
became intensely interested in vintage jazz and my first project on the
computer was to stereoize Louis Armstrong's entire output from 1925-1929.,
in the same manner Robert Parker would have, had he lived long enough.
Today I found out that there was a Jelly-Roll group. I am one of those
fans that thinks he probably did invent Jazz, or a good part of it. But my
Mom played this stuff and I have learned how to make his stuff sound JUST
LIKE Mom was playing it!

Nine Morton Vocalstyle rolls cut in 1924
by JRM & restored in loving memory of
"Mary Duffy", my mother (1912-2002)
They now sound so much like her playing
that I can see her play and her eyes twinkle
as she knew she was entertaining you.
She had always wanted to play in a hot jazz
band of the day, but her Aunt "Ag" had almost
ruined her life traipsing after a handsome, but
alcoholic bandleader in Iowa, an Earl van Note.
She never received her mother's permission,
but became a very devoted Boone County
farmer's wife,instead, and then eventually
raised a son who became a medical doctor.
Mom was Boone County recorder for 25 years.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD MY "RESTORATIONS"  OF THESE 1924 PIANO ROLLS FROM THIS
U.R.L. (address) FROM MY WEBHOST, CALLED :::<FileFactory>:::
      (copy & paste it into your address bar)

     http://www.filefactory.com/file/a47593

Dr John L. Duffy, M.D. in Walker, Iowa, USA
< johnduffy at dybb.com >