[Dixielandjazz] More on Sopramno Sax

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Mar 13 11:03:28 PDT 2008

Paul - Remember that our concept of saxophone tone has changed radically
over
the years, and few of today's players would be satisfied with the sort
of tone the early models produced, and even less comfortable playing
on the mouthpiece facings that were prevalent in the 1920s. But
matched with an appropriate mouthpiece of the right vintage, these
instruments could be played rather well in tune.

LW - Well that could account for a lot of it.

 Paul - I might even go so
far as to say they could be more in tune than what some players manage
on contemporary instruments!

LW - It seems that there is almost a soprano mania going on with young
players since KG started playing his stuff.  I suppose a lot of players are
buying them who just shouldn't.  I have said it before that the soprano
isn't for the average player and never for the beginner or even intermediate
player.  I would even go so far to say that many of the semi pro guys should
think about finding a nice closet to store theirs in.  The horn is simply
capable of some really awful sounds and even on a modern horn the intonation
is problematical for the average player.  It's really hard for a teacher to
tell a good student that he just isn't ready for the instrument without
discouraging them or seeming to be a put down.
Larry
StL