[Dixielandjazz] More on Sopramno Sax

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Mon Mar 10 16:35:17 PDT 2008

Confused here. Do youe mean a C-melody Sax" That would be a concert C
overtone sax -- Trambauer or Rosy McHargue most noted for it.
Of do you mean a Conn Bflat soprano sax -- curved or straight fish horn?
I have my father's Bflat Conn curved Soprano Sax, which he recorded
with  Spike Jones (Pass the Bisquits Mirandy"), and which he got in
Chicago in the mid-'30's from Peter Palmer III, scion of the Palmers of
the Palmer House. The young lad had decided to play sax and bought the
small soprano because he thought it would be easier to learn to play
being smaller.
When he awoke to reality, he basically said screw it and gave it my dad
(Red Ingle). I have it, in playing condition and might part with it some
day, but not today. (I also have two of his violins as used and recorded
with the Natural Seven. Mom sold his tenor, baritone, clarinet, and bass
clarinet when he passed.)
The little soprano has the most shattering god-awful bark this side of a
Mastiff on steroids.
Don Ingle