[Dixielandjazz] Real Player 11-vista-redhotjazz site.

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Sat Mar 1 22:53:34 PST 2008

To Bob Rubin and all with problems with Real Player VERSION 11 with
Windows PC's only. Mac users need not apply currently. I say again that
Version 11 is not available for Mac users so feel free to delete this
email now.  Too verbose for most readers anyway.

Once again I find myself defending Real Player Version 11

Bob said:

Speaking of real player 11,

(Bless you Bob. Version 11 it is. None other. NO previous version users
for PC's or Macs need apply for videos at least.  If you want audio
files only, other versions will work.)

Bob said.
I can't get it to work in Vista with the redhotjazz site that I've been
enjoying for 10 years going back to win 95 and then 98 and various
earlier real players.

(Assuming you are talking audio files only, I checked that out using my
Windows XP computer.  At the same time, in case you were talking about
the relatively few large video files on Redhotjazz.com, I also
downloaded the first file. A Ben Bernie clip of about 20 meg. A medley.

Real player VERSION 11 was my default player for both files even though
they are listed on Redhotjazz as either WMP files or Quicktime. Real
Player VERSION 11 will play them all, flawlessly, i.e. if the recording
itself is flawless.  Sound on the Ben Bernie video clip is NOT. Yawsah
Yowsah

The pickup was amazingly good on solos. When the entire band played,
there was some distortion. Both during streamed download and playback
from the file I save afterwards. The save was by MY option, after the
clip had finished playing entirely. The save is NOT automatic.

If you choose to save the video clip to your Real Player VERSION 11
Library at the end of the clip, when the file indeed is still on your
computer as noted by a previous poster, the save is almost instantaneous
depending on the speed of your computer. Simple file save.

No separate download is needed from the Internet at that time. Playback
was identical to the original as expected and added to the Real Player
11 program folder under MY Library. A real kick to watch the reed
players do their precision in unison "at rest" routines! Much like the
Ellington trumpet section on clips. GOOD film quality.

The sound file for Dorsey, picked at random from Red Hot Jazz, under
musicians and Dorsey, also played perfectly. End of long story on that.)

Bob said:
If any of you have realplayer 11 with (or without)
Vista,could you see if you can play the good
stuff in redhotjazz?

(See above. As noted in a private email to Bob, I can only suggest that
unless Real Player VERSION 11 AND Vista were installed already on your
new computer, in which case they should work together, that you might
want to reinstall Real Player VERSION 11. It might associate the two
together.

Or as many Vista users have done, go back to the XP operating system and
THEN install Real Player Version 11 again.  It works for me. VERY well
in all respects. I could not be more satisfied. No spyware from Real
Player I am aware of, but then that is the nature of spyware. Hidden.)

Bob said.
I'm wondering if I can still get real player 9
and use it with vista.

(Probably, but why do that???? Get XP and then install VERSION 11 :-)
Then you can not only play audio clips from Red Hot Jazz as I did, but
also save the videos.  Real Player Version 9 or 10, which you have
overlooked, will NOT save videos under any circumstances with any
browser.  Use IE or Firefox to save videos using ONLY Real Player
VERSION 11.)

Bob said.
Any advice would be appreciated?

(That is my verbose advice and I am sticking to it.)

Mad Dog

thanks,

You are welcome.

Lowell