[Dixielandjazz] Feb 26 Polcer/Gordon/Cocuzzi concert and clinic

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Sat Mar 1 17:22:21 PST 2008

BOB and STEVE wrote...

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:41:31 -0800
> From: "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>
> Subject: Re: Feb 26 Polcer/Gordon/Cocuzzi concert for STJS
>
>  Steve Barbone asks:
>
>> Hey left coasters:
>>
>> How was the concert received in Sacramento by Ed Polcer's East Coast
>> All-Stars on Feb 26? And how about the class they taught in school
>> the next day?
>

> Steve,
>
> I could not make the concert, even though I really wanted to.  I did
> purchase two tickets for youth musicians to attend.
>
> All reports are that it was fantastic.  Some folks even went so far as to
> say that it was the best concert they had ever attended.
>
> Congratulations to our own Nancy Giffin who's idea it was and who headed up
> the committee to put the concert on.  Also congratulations to the Fulton
> Street Jazz Band's drummer Vince Bartels whose construction company, Nelmar
> Construction, underwrote the concert.
>
> Several other folks, including Arbors Records and the American Rag, as well
> as the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society, had a hand in it also.
>
> Nancy was also at the school clinic the next day so I am sure we will hear
> a report from her.
>
> --Bob Ringwald

Dear Bob and Steve,

There was a committee putting this on? (Always last to know these things.)
Perhaps if there had been enough folks interested to form a committee, the
event would have made lots of money instead of just breaking even.

There certainly were some great volunteers on the day of the concert, and
the hardworking STJS Sound Crew (first to arrive and last to leave) received
praise from the band.

I could not have been happier with the band. The crowd loved them, too, and
let them know it with all their hooting, hollering, and standing ovations,
which only ignited the musicians to give more to be excited about.

The lucky kids at Rio Americano who enjoyed a clinic with this band, next
day, are already playing well above average. With such valuable feedback
from the pros, they will truly be awesome. Comments varied from musical to
practical, like where to position the snare relative the tuba, and how the
piano player should not wear shoes that will make a loud tapping when
hitting the pedal. For improv advice, they were reminded to use the chord
changes when selecting notes for their solos. When playing 2nd line and
street beat, they told the tuba player that he needed to focus on holding
the beat and pumping the band rather than getting fancy with their notes. On
and on, etc., etc. All valuable instruction that had the two band leaders
beaming with excitement about how the band would improve after this clinic,
which received an enthusiastic standing ovation from the entire room full of
young musicians who now have lots more than just bebop to play.

BIG thanks to STJS and Vince Bartels for making this possible. Too bad so
many STJS folks missed the concert for lack of interest, but hurray for
those who were there, including a very happy BEV GUNTER.

Thanks to Steve and Bob, and all who bought student tickets. The youth
festival can still use donations, so please keep them in mind. It's tax
deductible! EIN #23-7132119. To "TJYBF" c/o STJS, 2787 Del Monte St., West
Sacramento, CA 95691

If you want to see a tiny clip from Feb. 26, go to this YouTube link.
I did not tape any more because I neither paid the musicians nor got their
okay in advance. The three in this clip did give their permission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB0DnMaBXa0
WARNING! The is NOT an OKOM treatment of Gershwin's "Summertime."
Watch at your own risk, then listen to the crowd roar their approval.

Love and hugs,
Nancy