[Dixielandjazz] Improvising

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Mar 1 10:39:04 PST 2008

There is another benefit to doing this and that is it helps you to harmonize
with the other players.

I said before that you can start by playing against the melody when it is
holding out a note.  Let's say you are going along more or less playing
whole notes and the melody holds then try "playing against" that note from
the root or bass chord tone or play that tone if it's different and move to
the root tone or third but do something. Try to keep in the general rhythm
of the tunes.  Don't for example if the tune is a slow ballad inject a bunch
of fast notes into it.  Go with the flow.  If you are harmonizing stay away
from unison notes with the melody and that does have an exception.

If the melody line is holding let's say a C and you are playing a counter
melody part it's OK to start on that note as part of a run or arpeggio or
can be a part of a rhythm background but that's more rare.  This is a matter
of taste though.

Try playing stop time to a chord line or what I call bump time where you
play three quarters and rest then that rhythm repeats several times usually
all through a phrase.  A tune you can do this with is St. Louis Blues where
you hear the "I hate to see" line.  This works against someone playing the
melody or a solo.  This is nothing more than playing along with the chord
progression but adding a very elementary rhythm to it.

There is a useful thing that some CD players can do and that's repeat a
section over and over.  This gives you a chance to experiment.  I have an
older CD player that will do that.  There are Computer programs that will
slow down a piece of music without changing the pitch.  Sorry I don't have
any suggestions here.  With those you can copy a solo or play against it.  I
think there is a fine line between memorization and improvisation.  I think
it boils down to learning some licks and applying them, or parts of them, to
other tunes smoothly.  I think we have all done that and that's not the same
thing as memorizing a solo.

You know someone should write a book on licks used in OKOM.  It could be
called "The Dixie Licks"!
Larry
StL
Larry