[Dixielandjazz] Ernie Carbajal RIP

Kit W. Johnson kit at bscjb.com
Mon Jun 30 13:34:51 PDT 2008

Hello Folks:

I'm sorry to report that my good friend Ernie Carbajal died on Saturday
evening, June 28, 2008 at about 10:15 p.m. Ernie had put up a valiant fight
for several years against Stage 4 colon cancer that had spread more recently
to other vital organs. At Ernie's request, the family is not holding public
services. Many of you had reached out directly to Ernie or through me along
the way, and I know he sincerely appreciated the good wishes and friendship.

Ernie and I shared the stage in Black Swan Classic Jazz Band for most of the
last 20 years, and had a few very enjoyable fishing jaunts and other
excursions along the way. I've never met anyone who cared more about music,
professionalism and being competent on his instrument. He continued to play
until earlier this year. I'll miss him tremendously. Here are a few notes
from Ernie's Black Swan bio.

"One of the founding members of Black Swan, Ernie joined the band and the
traditional jazz scene in 1989. He had a prestigious career in a wide
variety of musical endeavors. Ernie was a staff musician at the Phoenix Star
Theater in Arizona for two years and a member of the house band at the
Riverside Ballroom for three years. Ernie also paid his dues on the road
with the Pedro Bugarin Orchestra, a salsa band that traveled throughout the
western half of the United States.

Just before joining Black Swan, Ernie did a special performance series and
recording project with Anthony Braxton on the Black Saint record label. In
the more recent past, Ernie has been on contract with the Oregon Festival of
American Music. This association has provided him the opportunity to work
with pianist, Dick Hyman, and alongside such prominent musicians as
trumpeters, Byron Stripling and Randy Sandke; trombonist, Bill Watrous and
clarinetist, Ken Peplowski.  Ernie has also performed with Big Tiny Little
and the vocal group, The Temptations.

Ernie's other credits include performances with the Ringling Brothers Circus
Band, the Ice Follies, the Ice Capades, the Lane Community Faculty Brass
Quintet, the Emerald City Jazz Kings, and the Dana Lutes Ensemble.
Currently, Ernie is working as a freelance musician playing vibraphone,
flugel horn and trumpet doing everything from duos to big bands."

Peace, brother.

Best to all ~

Kit

Kit W. Johnson