[Dixielandjazz] Duke Ellington to be featured on U S Quarter

BOYER DONALD dnboy152 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 28 19:27:56 PDT 2008

The State Quarter series was supposed to conclude in 2008.  Congress has added another year (2009) to honor the terratories such as Guam, District of Columbia, etc.  The District of Columbia  Mayor has just advised the U S Mint that Duke Ellington will be featured on the District's 2009 quarter!

  The top of the coin will have the  wording "District of Columbia," the bottom ""E Pluribus Unum" and "2009"", above that will be the wording "Justice for All".  The  center of the coin is Duke in formal clothes holding a sheet of music with a grand piano behind him with Duke Ellington wording on the piano.  The sketch published in the July 7th issue of Coin World Magazine looks much better than my description.

  This may not be exactly on topic, but maybe I could tie into Pennies From Heaven!  Can't help but be good advertising for OKOM.

  Don Boyer
  South Bend, IN