[Dixielandjazz] FW: The Perfect Recording

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Jun 27 12:31:32 PDT 2008

I have been in a few sessions where I played less than perfectly on a part.
Later I went back and the technician cut me in and out of a passage as I
replayed it.  Then it was a cut and paste job and presto chango the
recording was now perfect.  There was another instance when nobody played a
soli section perfectly so it was back to the drawing board with a little cut
and paste it came out pretty good.

So is this all real?  Was that really me or the electronics?  The
electronics made me better than I am.

The magic you can do in a studio can make truly wonderful recordings but
then again live musicians can't even come up to the level of their own
recordings.

In a live performance the balance between instruments is almost the holy
grail but in the studio it's a twist of a knob and balance can be achieved
or enhanced with unlimited settings.  With enough time, as you pointed out
35 hours, and a good technician a good recording can be had as vs.
performance on the fly with one shot at it as in most live performances.

My only observation is that live performance would seem to suffer but then
again the audience only hears the live performance once.  With the recording
the listener may hear the performance hundreds of times as in my Mozart Oboe
piece example.  The one out of tune note might not have even been noticed at
a live performance but on the tenth playing becomes truly grating on the
nerves.

I have a recording of a clarinet player who is really very good but in his
solos he squeaks every so often and after hearing the recording a few times
becomes a bit annoying.  This could have been minimized if not eliminated
fairly easily and IMO wouldn't be wrong at all to have done so on the
recording.

I wasn't really putting down recording studios or what can be done there but
rather using electronic gadgets to cover up or hide poor performance or
worse still an end in themselves.

In the end comparing live performances with the product turned out by a good
studio may be like comparing oranges to apples.

I'm not sure that anyone knows where technology is taking us but I do know
that as musicians we can't afford to ignore it and not learn to use it.
Larry
STL