[Dixielandjazz] July 4th Music

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 25 12:44:59 PDT 2008

>  benny theiler <bennyth at att.net> wrote:
>
> Looking for music list appropriate for July 4th., entertaiment -
> Playing for Retirement Center elderly people, and would like to play
> oldie they would enjoy.  Thanks in
> advance..........Benny....................

Hi Benny:

Besides one or two patriotic songs, what works for me with retirement
centers ( I do 40 + per year in various band forms from trio to
sextet) is The American Songbook. Gershwin, Kern, Youmans, McHugh,
Berlin, et al. They know the music and adore it.

You know, Lady Be Good, The Man I Love, I Get a Kick Out of You,
Stardust, Tenderly,  Makin Whopee, As Time Goes By, Ain't Misbehavin,
I Can't Get Started, Bill Bailey, They Can't Take That Away From Me,
etc. They'll even sing along and then tell you; "Thanks, they don't
write songs like that anymore.".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com