[Dixielandjazz] Steeplechase Rag

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 25 12:27:12 PDT 2008

Folks--
     On Sunday at the concert by the Austin Traditional Jazz Society
All-Stars, Brian Holland played the "Steeplechase Rag" by James P.
Johnson, which i had never heard before.  It's a rouser and very
difficult, but Brian pulled it off splendidly, and of course brought
down the house, to wild appause.  (To see and hear him play it, go to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7-dpyYYXRw.)  Apparently Johnson
wrote this when he was but 16 years of age, but didn't publish it
till much later, and then it also had a different (or alternate) name
of "Over the Bars" (not to be confused with another song of that name
by Theo. Moelling, with which i'm sure you're intimately familiar --
uh, what?).  (Brian's website is at
http://www.hollandentertainment.com/, where you can get his CDs.)
     Anyway, being me, i immediately felt an urge to play this song
myself, but since i can't play the piano, this feeling got translated
into a desire to write an arrangement of it so i could at least play
the bass-line on my tuba.  I'm contemplating an arrangement for
either dixieland band or brass quintet (i've already arranged over 20
of the Scott Joplin rags for brass quintet, and published "Pine Apple
Rag").
     My question to the list is, has anyone ever heard or played a
band arrangement of this piece?  (No sense re-inventing the wheel . .
.)  Is it in fact (in your opinion) playable by a band, or is it too
pianistic?

     Dan

P. S. By the way, the rest of the concert was very fine, with Bob
Krenkel from Dallas playing marvelous clarinet, soprano sax, and bass
sax; Bud Dresser (also from Dallas) playing trombone, flugelbone, and
sousaphone (he and Bob have a CD out for ragtime piano and sousaphone
which is great); Larmon Maddox belting it out on cornet; listmate
Dave Stoddard announcing and playing fine solos on tuba; and Budge
Mabry on drums (and not enough washboard).  Tommy Griffith even sat
in on piano for a couple of numbers.
--
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**  "The less a science is advanced, the more its terminology tends
**   to rest on an uncritical assumption of mutual understanding."
**             -- Willard V. Quine in _Word and Object_