[Dixielandjazz] James Morrison

Michael Thomason aussiemike at mac.com
Tue Jun 24 07:06:27 PDT 2008

G'day DJML Friends,
re: James Morrison

 i was teaching in Sydney in 1985 and I had the opportunity to go to a
 local Jazz Venue (the name is long forgotten)
 in order to see John Sangster. I had been a fan for about 20 years then.
 Whilst the audience waited for john to arrive we were getting a little
 impatient, the great vibes player was running late - or so we thought.
The MC came out on the stage and made the following announcement.
 'Ladies and Gentlement, we're terribly sorry to have to tell you that John
 Sangster has been taken ill and is unable to perform tonight.
 However we have managed to secure a young horn player and he should be
 here shortly.'
 About 15 minutes later this young horn player turn up with about six or
 seven horns, from euphonium to pocket trumpet,
 and proceeded to blow the roof off the house!
 And you're right - it was a young (about 17 or 18) James Morrison!

 What an evening!

 I've been a fan ever since.

 cheers,

 Mike Thomason