[Dixielandjazz] New Black Eagles 20 Years Ago

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Sun Jun 22 17:04:24 PDT 2008

Eli newberger just sent me the following note about a recently-found 20-yr-old video clip, and I'd like to share it with list members.

All the best,

Larry Swain

Dear Friends,

My Canadian friend Bob Erwig found and just posted on YouTube this 1988 video of
the New Black Eagle Jazz Band performing this brilliant Wilbur De Paris song,
with all its breaks and rhythmic variations.  Although you might find
interesting my 4-octave chorus on a bridge toward the end, the main reason I'm
posting this is because it's one of the best recordings I've seen of the Black
Eagles in concert.  Billy Novick had just joined the band on clarinet, and at
this point in its development, the other 6 members had been together for 17
years, thus accounting for the cohesiveness of the ensemble improvising.

                                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl5KD5z4rGA

Eli Newberger