[Dixielandjazz] Buck Clayton - Charlie Shavers cutting contest

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Sun Jun 15 14:34:57 PDT 2008

There's a nice video example of a cutting contest on youtube.com, between
Buck Clayton and Charlie Shavers.

But before I give the url, there's a story that goes along with this clip.
I don't know whether it's true or not, but it's one of my favorite jazz
stories.

A lady walks into a music store to get a bottle of valve oil for her young
son, who has just started playing trumpet. A kind older gentleman offers
to help her, showing her bottles of Al Cass, Bach, etc. The lady asks the
gentleman if he plays the trumpet. "Oh yes," he replies, "I've played
professionally all my life. I worked with Artie Shaw, Bob Crosby, and had
my  own band." The lady asks, "what's your name?" "Billy Butterfield," he
replies. "Well, Mr. Butterfield, since my son is just starting to play, do
you have any advice for him, based on your years of experience?"
Butterfield thinks a moment, then emphatically states "Yes. Don't trade
fours with Charlie Shavers!"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EE-vcZQkS-k&feature=related

Cheers,
Chris Tyle