[Dixielandjazz] swing dancers/tempos

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Sun Jun 15 12:26:04 PDT 2008

Dan Augustine had an interesting post requesting suggested tempos for swing
dancers. Maybe things are different here in California, but I have noticed the
 young swing dancers generally are not versatile ballroom dancers. They  can
get real creative with medium swing/foxtrot tempos, BUT they what they  really
want is loud, fast and faster! In addition, they are looking for a  strong
beat and a real loud bass. At a local street fair, I noticed lots of  dancers
and a full donation pot for a 2-piece band(?) consisting entirely  of a loud
drummer and a loud fender bass player!

If this is of any value to anyone, in my regular dance band for ballroom
events, tempos are generally as follows: fast swing: 160-240, swing: 120-160,
samba 220, bossa/rumba/bolero: 113, waltz: 100, foxtrot: 110-140, cha cha: 120,
polka: 220, tango: 100, line dance: 120, mambo/salsa: 150. Slow dancing:
anything with sweet harmonies in 4/4 time without a strong beat 110 or  slower.

An important point from my uncle who was a bandleader for 60 years: "if the
dance floor is not full of dancers, YOU'RE WRONG! (even if the same tempos
worked for dancers the night before)."

Tom Loeb
_www.hotsytotsyboys.com_ (http://www.hotsytotsyboys.com)