[Dixielandjazz] Price increases was advertising.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 20:34:51 PDT 2008

> Larry Walton	<larrys.bands at charter.net> wrote: (polite snip)
>
> By the way I have been squeezing more out of the clients with the
> gas price crunch.  They understand it's costing us more and I have
> been getting more from them than it's costing us.  All you have to
> do is ask.
>
> I tell them that I'm having trouble getting guys to play because of
> the increased gas prices and that it's costing me more to hire good
> people.  I also tell them I really don't want to downsize the group
> but if they really can't afford it I will give them a smaller group
> for the same price.  So far no one has opted for the smaller group
> and are kicking in another $10-$25 per man.  I may not be able to
> always pull it off but you have to give it try.

Amen Larry. Last month I raised our minimum price by $10 per sideman
for local gigs to cover the gas price increases. So far, we have not
lost any gigs (booked 4 since the raise) or had to downsize from our
usual 6 piece set-up. Those who book bands do understand that the
travel cost for operating a car is about $0.50 per mile and a 100 mile
round trip costs a driver $50. (depreciation + repair + gas, oil
Tires, etc)

Unfortunately some of our "freebie" competition doesn't understand
basic economics. <grin> They quote low and tell me that you shouldn't
count depreciation because you have to have a car anyway and the
depreciation is therefore already there. I just love those idiots.
Thank goodness most of them also lack basic knowledge about how to
present a musical performance that differentiates their band.

No doubt we will all lose a few gigs because of the economy and the
idiots, but I still laugh all the way to the bank. We are still
booking at a good clip, and making a good profit. I figure if gas goes
past $6 a gallon, I'll raise prices again, for the 3rd time since 2006.

One secret for many of our gigs, is that the venues get sponsors for
the band. We did a swing dance on the street in West Chester PA  last
Thursday, free to the public. Our band cost was picked up by some
local businesses who benefitted through our performance in the middle
of the street in front, of or beside their bars/restaurants..  (Also,
this evening's gig, for a Construction Association was sponsored by
three of their builder members. Etc., etc.)

The city of West Chester, closed off two blocks of a main street. We
played opposite  a restaurant, and beside a bar with 2 more within a
block. The town got the restaurants/bars to sponsor us. And why not?
On a normally slow Thursday night, they were jammed. Heck, we were a
bargain compared to what they made in extra food and drink sales.

BTW, if anyone wants jpgs of the Swing Dance performance, and/or the
audience to see how we differentiate, write me off list. I am going to
use them to solicit business from every Town in the area.
I'll also include one of me smooching with a lovely 30 year old swing
dancer. <grin>  All taken by my wife who is either gathering divorce
evidence, or is the most wonderful woman in the world..

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband