[Dixielandjazz] Dr John:

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 7 08:29:09 PDT 2008

June 7, 2008 - NY TIMES - by Jon Pareles
He Still Loves New Orleans, and Now He’s Mad

NEW ORLEANS — Mac Rebennack, the 67-year-old New Orleans pianist,
guitarist and songwriter better known as Dr. John, carries the city’s
lore in his fingers, his scratchy voice and his memory. He has lived
in New York City and on Long Island since the 1980s, but when he
revisits his birthplace it’s as if he never left. New Orleans culture,
he said in his ever-surprising vocabulary, has “wacknosity” — things
only New Orleanians do.

In late April he was back in his old hometown, revisiting his past and
present. He performed during the first weekend of the New Orleans Jazz
and Heritage Festival, introducing some of the songs on the angry new
album he released this week, “City That Care Forgot” (429 Records).
(Dr. John is to perform in New York City on June 17 at the Highline
Ballroom.)

Three days later he was at the Ponderosa Stomp, which had persuaded
him to revive songs he wrote back in the 1950s. Most were written for
other people (like Ronnie and the Delinquents’ “Bad Neighborhood”),
and he hadn’t performed them since. In the afternoons Dr. John was at
the Music Shed, a recording studio in the Garden District, singing
Randy Newman’s theme song for “The Princess and the Frog,” a Disney
movie about old New Orleans due to be released next year.

“They wanted his voice, which is not a bad idea if you’re going to do
New Orleans,” said Mr. Newman, who was at the sessions. “He’s the real
thing in every kind of way.”

Mr. Newman has known Mr. Rebennack since the 1960s, when both men
worked as Los Angeles studio musicians. “You don’t have to tell him
much about music,” Mr. Newman said. “He knows where he is, wherever he
is.”

Through the years, Dr. John has carried New Orleans style worldwide:
in his two-fisted barrelhouse piano, in his syncopated drawl, in the
second-line funk rhythms of songs like his 1973 hit “Right Place Wrong
Time” and in the psychedelic voodoo character he created when he
became Dr. John the Night Tripper in the late 1960s.

Before the recording sessions, Dr. John told some tales. On early
tours, he said, the Night Tripper’s troupe included a nude dancer and
a geek who bit the heads off chickens, drank their blood and tossed
their bodies to his black snake. In one town the geek was charged with
cruelty to animals. Defending himself in court, he declared, “Arrest
Colonel Sanders!”

Dr. John also had, it seemed, a story for every street corner in his
hometown. He recalled the one where Gypsies ran a bujo scam, promising
to cleanse supposedly cursed money and filching it instead. There was
the saloon where the booze wiped off the bar was collected in a
galvanized tin, dumped into milk bottles and sold to down-and-out
drunks. There was the Circle Food Market, where, decades ago, Sister
Gertrude Morgan, a gospel evangelist shaking six tambourines — on her
hands, her feet and her dress — used to sing like James Brown to
redeem sinners. The front yard of her home in the Ninth Ward, Dr. John
recalled, was all four-leaf clovers.

The streets he showed a visitor were less vibrant. They’re the New
Orleans he sings about on “City That Care Forgot,” still deeply
scarred nearly three years after Hurricane Katrina.

“There’s hardly any part of this city that you’re not going to see
something that’s still whacked,” he said. The van, driven by his road
manager, rolled past a tent city of the homeless that has spread under
the long overpass of Interstate 10. Crossing the Industrial Canal, Dr.
John said, “As far as your eyes can see on this bridge, and the next
bridge and the next bridge and the next bridge, you can see masses of
destruction slid in between masses of not-so-destruction.”

“How many of those people are scattered and splattered around the
United States to this minute?” he asked. “How many people got back and
had no way to rebuild?”

As the van moved through the wreckage of the Lower Ninth Ward, he
said: “I knew a million people here, and they got wiped. The first
time I come out here, I couldn’t even find where blocks ended and
started. There were 5 and 10 houses smashed together. You could smell
dead people in them.”

He released a mournful seven-song EP, “Sippiana Hericane” (429
Records), less than three months after Katrina. But he kept hearing
more grim stories. “The more people I would talk to — everybody had an
epic movie saga,” he said. “One guy got his grandma out of her house
and came out and saw his grandfather’s body hanging from a tree. I’d
be walking on Canal Street and I’d hear the stories. And I got to the
point where I got to be scared of saying to someone, ‘How’d you do?’ I
had to do something to get past that.”

Gradually, sorrow turned to resentment and rage. “City That Care
Forgot” flings indictments both local and global. “Short version is,
we gettin’ mad,” Dr. John sings in “We Gettin’ There,” which gripes
about contractors and insurance companies and goes on to tabulate
greater costs: “Ask anybody if they know a friend that died from
suicide/They gonna say ‘Yeah for a fact.’ ” In the title song, a
steadfast slow groove with jabs of bluesy guitar from Eric Clapton,
Dr. John sings, “Better get used to that fonky smell/Toxic mold under
the fresh paint.” And in the gospel-flavored “Promises, Promises,” on
which he shares vocals withWillie Nelson, he sings, “The road to the
White House is paved with lies.”

In New Orleans style, the bad news arrives with a backbeat. Dr. John
and his band of New Orleans musicians, the Lower 911, come up with
easy-rolling grooves: funk, blues, gospel, even a tinge of zydeco.

Dr. John wrote five of the album’s 13 songs with Bobby Charles, the
elusive South Louisiana figure who wrote “Walking to New Orleans” and
“See You Later, Alligator” and whose hometown, Abbeville, La., was
smashed by Hurricane Rita. Most of the album was recorded in a studio
in Maurice, La., Dr. John said, “sitting on one of the most polluted
bayous in the state of Louisiana.”

Dr. John and his band made two albums in the same sessions: “City That
Care Forgot” and a set of Mr. Charles’s songs sung by Shannon McNally.
“Some cuts on me, some cuts on her — it kept the band from getting
complacent,” he said. “It would shift the gears of the conversation.”

One collaboration by Dr. John and Mr. Charles was “Black Gold,” which
links oil greed to global warming and the war in Iraq. “Bobby hits
your nerves good,” Dr. John said. “That’s one of his fortes: he can go
straight for the jugular. I could give Bobby some words or a thought,
and within an hour it’s finished.”

When the van got back to the studio, Dr. John resumed his longtime
role as an ambassador of New Orleans. The Jazz and Heritage Foundation
— which runs the festival’s nonprofit cultural programs — and the
state of Louisiana, in a project called Sync Up, had invited a
delegation of film music supervisors to promote Louisiana music —
songs, musicians and recording studios — to Hollywood. Dr. John posed
for photos with them: the bearded potentate, carrying a carved staff
and wearing amulets and Mardi Gras colors, paired with the sleek but
clearly starstruck Californians.

“Anything helps,” he said. “Everybody here is scuffling.”