[Dixielandjazz] Granddaughter to trombonist Irvin "Cajun" Verret new to the list

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 6 17:38:21 PDT 2008

> Hello,
> My name is Michele (Verret) Ayala. My grandfather is little mentioned
> in the bios of jazz greats but he indeed was a very talented trombone
> musican during the start of the jazz era in New Orleans.
> Irvin Luke Verret was born 3-11-1908 in Loreauville, LA. Loreauville
> is a village in Iberia Parish, Louisiana. He was raised in Broussard,
> LA and died 1989 in Palm Springs, California at my fathers home.
> Irvin (not Irving with a g) Verret, or "Cajun" as most his musician
> friends called him, played with Mattie Matlock, Eddie Miller, Nick
> Fatol, Ray Baduke, Charlie Teagarden, and subbed quite a bit for Jack
> Teagarden.

Dear Michele,
Welcome to the DJML jazz family.
You will meet a lot of interesting, and knowledgeable friends here.
Your grandfather is certainly known to a few of us, as Don Ingle has
already indicated.
There is a picture and a short biog of him at pages 120-121 in 'New
Orleans Jazz. The Family Album' (1967. Al Rose and Edmond Souchon.
Louisiana State University Press). Also on pages 124-125 of the
enlarged Third Edition (1984).
His 1936-37 recordings with Phil Harris, the Capitols mentioned by
Marek with Nappy Lamare and Eddie Miller (1945) and Marvin Ash, Nappy
Lamare and Zutty Singleton (1949), his performance at the 1949
Dixieland Jubilee with the Bob Crosby Bobcats and at the 1958 Dixieland
Jubilee with Muggsy Spanier are listed in Tom Lord's Jazz Discography.
In his fine work 'The Song For Me', DJML listmate Brian Wood has this
to say:
VERRET, Irvin g “Cajun”     Trombone; vocals     c1906, Alexandria, LA
R&S give Alexandria  as his place of birth although Joe Darensbourg
said Cajun came from New Iberia (possibly correct since New Iberia is
“Cajun” country whilst Alexandria is well to the north ). Also, Austin
Sonnier, Jr. refers to him as a “Southwest Louisiana musician”. Irving
Verret was best known as a big band musician and studio artist for many
years, who played with Sidney Arodin and many others. He made records
with Wingy Manone, and also recorded for Octave Crosby’s Original
Ragtime Band, with Alvin Alcorn and Albert Burbank, in 1954. In 1958 he
was with Muggsy Spanier on a number of recordings made on broadcasts
from the Dixieland Jubilee in Pasadena over in California. His given
name is sometimes seen as “Irvin” but I believe it should have a final
“g” as here.

The information provided above by you will be certainly be welcomed by
Brian.
Although I've never found the Muggsy Spanier Dixieland Jubilee record,
I'm playing the Capitol sides now for old-times sake. A great
trombonist indeed.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
(Sydney, Australia.)