[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Style Change - Kid Ory

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 08:18:03 PDT 2008

Well,
I wonder.  Was Ory an "ear player?"  Ory was a Creole, and the Creoles
often had at least some musical education.  According to Samuel
Charters' "Jazz: New Orleans," Ory learnt to read.  Thus, he was not
just an ear player, although, having started at an early age, might
have begun as such.
And I have not really found Mole to be an unexciting player; on the
contrary - I love Mole (and Napoleon and Nichols) at leas as much as
Ory and JT.
Cheers