[Dixielandjazz] Sibellious, Encore or Finale or ???

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 17:50:22 PDT 2008

I've been doing a lot of study of XML in the last few weeks to create a
standard way for us to store CD information for the San Francisco
Traditional Jazz Foundation website and then display it in a standardized
way in an HTML table. This allows us to have a single script display all the
CDs we have for sale instead of an HTML file for each one. This make it much
simpler and less error prone to update the information, add new CDs, or
rearrange the display - just have to change one file instead of 10 or 15.

XML isn't really like .pdf. It is much more "open" and human readable.
Anyone can create an XML file with any simple text editor (like notepad on
Windows). You can't really create a .pdf file that way. You need special
software to write a .pdf file (or print to it), and generally need Adobe
Acrobat Reader or Acrobat itself to read and display it.

XML is a lot like HTML in that it uses "tags" in pairs like
the user and give "meaning" to the text or data they enclose and can be
defined to mean anything the user/writer wants. Example:
<person>
    <name>Joe Blow</name>
    <address>30 Joe Blow Parkway</address>
    <city>Joe Blow City</city>
    <state>PA</state>
    <zip>020202</zip>
</person>

A program that knows how to read an XML file can get real information from
the above example whereas if you just used HTML to display Joe Blow's
information, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between his name
and his address. Music XML has standardized tags specific to music
information. There are other XML tag definitions for graphics, 3D modelling,
and a bunch of other fields.

HTML tags are pretty much strictly for formatting the information for
display.

Scott Anthony