[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Style Changes

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 04:25:32 PDT 2008

 I would contend that there was no particular "when" or explicit "time" for the change you speak of in trombone styles. I would say it was a matter of the "popularity" of the styles changing over time. Trombonists have been known to vary their styles quite  a lot as well. Dorsey didn't always play in the "Song Of India" or "IGSOY" manner. Ory was much more "articulate" in his work with the Armstrong "Hot Five" than he was in his own bands during the 40s and 50's "Revival." Teagarden is an example of players who played "hot" and also "sweet" when he wanted to.  So again, my opinion is that the "styles" existed simultaneouly and didn't change at any particular juncture.
Marty Nichols
http://myspace.com/freemarty

Message: 13