[Dixielandjazz] [australian-dance-bands] Scott Yanow's "The Jazz Singers" (press release)

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Fri Jul 25 20:09:17 PDT 2008

Dear Denis,

What is a jazz singer? The answer is as varied as "What is Jazz?" Was the
Swing Era of the 1930s and 1940s the pinnacle of jazz singing--but for some
purists was swing music really jazz? There have always been vocalists who
were labeled as jazz singers from the "Smiths" of the 1920s to today's Abbey
Lincoln and Teri Thornton. Five of the 21 artists in Jazzwomen:
Conversations with Twenty-One Musicians (University of Indiana Press, 2004)
are listed as singers in the The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz. Does their
selection automatically make them jazz singers? Books about jazz singing
often address this paradox by wandering into the world of popular music. Can
any book be written about an art that dedfies definition without
adulteration?

Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw and a few other big band leaders
regarded singers as an annoying adornment to their music. As George Simon
wrote in his book The Feeling of Jazz (Simon and Schuster, 1961): "Look but
don't listen [to singers] because if you're like me and a hundred other
musicians I respect, you're not going to be able to take it." Have there
really been 521 "jazz" singers? Cheers.

Fred