[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans vs "other" styles

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 25 17:53:13 PDT 2008

Could Jim have referenced "Pidgen" a form of Patois used in the Hawaiian Islands.

  Slainte

  Ye olde Mouldy Fygge

  Ed Coltrin ( Originally, Coltrain)

Don Ingle <dingle at nomadinter.net> wrote:
  Jim Kashishian wrote:

> I wondered if there was going to be more discussion by the pros on
> differences within styles of OKOM. How about a breakdown of the differences
> by those who play it, please.
> Mart
>

> Mart, I play it, but don't really like to concern myself too much with what
> "it" is. So, I'm the last one to get into such a discussion. Our band,
> which is now in its 41st year of steady playing, plays jazz clubs, formal
> hotel lounges, large format concerts (up to 10,000 on numerous occassions),
> weddings, (& Royal weddings!), company parties, birthdays, garden parties,
> building dedications, etc., etc. Our style changes with the occasion & even
> with the different nitely crowd.
>
> Although I was nurtured on Turk, Watters, FH5+2, etc., I took an early
> liking to the Dukes of Dixieland (late 1950's). Later, after arriving in
> Madrid in 1966, and being exposed to European ideas of jazz, particularly
> our ex-sop sax who was French & very Sydney B. orientated, my ideas opened
> even more.
>
> We play old tunes (up to the 1960's), heavily based in N.O or Dixieland or
> Trad Jazz (or whatever term is prefered) with a lightly swinging rhythm
> section of piano, bass & drums. We don't march, but we play marches! We
> don't dance, but we play dance tunes. What we do do, to quote Clark Terry,
> is: after having imitated in our earlier years, assimilated after that, and
> hopefully are now innovative. And, swinging!
>
> Not much more to be said. No pidgeon holes, I'm afraid.
>
> Jim

Dear Expatriate: Perhaps an avian translation is needed: are the
"pidgeons" you mentioned a Spanish species, or are they like the
"pigeons" we have in Yankeeland? Just a bit curious. The old "Gringo"
is just back from fishing the Pigeon River -- or was that the Pidgeon?
Now you've got me confused again. Oh drat - back to the cantina!
Don