[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz & Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 22 13:17:10 PDT 2008

> "Paul Gorelick" <drpag at flash.net>
>
> Hello to all.  I have been reading threads for a couple of months.
> This is the first time I found how to post a message.  I'm not that
> well computer oriented.  Some time ago I asked for anybody that had
> the only recording of Dave Wierbach.  Somebody did and I purchased
> it.  For me it is the best New Orleans Jazz/Dixieland of anybody
> I've ever heard.  With the banjo prominent in every recording in a
> terrific group, I cannot understand how he went out
> of business because nobody purchased the album.  My question is, on
> many of your threads you mention New Orleans Jazz and Dixieland.
> I'm having a difficult time in separating the two.  Can they be
> separated or does the term New Orleans Jazz imply Dixieland.  Thank
> you, Paul

Hi Paul:

Welcome to the land of DJML posts.

I can't answer your question other than with my own opinion. No doubt
others will have their own opinions.

For me Dixieland is one of the many styles that come under the broad
umbrella of New Orleans Jazz. Brass bands would be another, eg. Dirty
Dozen, Rebirth etc.

Below is one definition from:
http://www.experienceneworleans.com/jazz.html

Jazz...the sound that put New Orleans on the map, musically speaking!!
It's a distinctive sound--not big band swing, with horns creating
harmony. Nor is it modern jazz or "bebop," the post World War II style
that relies on speeding tempos and virtuosic soloing. And it's not
"pop" music, the form of music from the pre-rock 'n roll days.
New Orleans jazz is a style of music. Almost any song can be "jazzed"
up with a New Orleans beat. Jazz is music for dancing, not listening,
even though that is what modern jazz became in the 1950s and beyond.
New Orleans Jazz has a swinging, stomping, syncopated beat that makes
you want to dance! It also has a simple melodic quality that sounds
dated to some today.

New Orleans Jazz is also heard in brass bands, the kind we hear in our
Mardi Gras street parades. They rely on wind instruments and separate
bass and snare drums, all of which can be carried.

Cheers,

Steve Barbone

www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband