[Dixielandjazz] Time

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jul 21 09:16:22 PDT 2008

There seems to be three things that make a top drummer.  Keeping good time,
knowing styles and playing with taste.

As you pointed out Steve, steady time is probably the hardest to master but
that's not the only reason we have drummers and that's where taste comes in.
Unfortunately  "playing" the drums is almost a lost art.  When I first got
into the AF band there was a drummer named Glen Kimmel in the band.  Glen
has been dead for several years but I remember him as the first drummer that
had all three of the things I mentioned.  I especially remember his
wonderful musical taste.  He wasn't just a time keeper but a player.  He had
a hundred years of styles at his finger tips.  I think he may have "spoiled"
me because I still look in vain for that in all drummers.
Larry
STL