[Dixielandjazz] Time

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 18 19:42:01 PDT 2008

Your comments bring to mind a statement overheard one late evening,while enjoying company ot the YBJB, Can't recall whether at the Dawn Club or Hambone's. Bill Dart the drummer was mentioned about his  speed up or slow down.  Can't remember which, but there was a comment.

  Slainte,

  Ye olde Mouldy fygge

  ED COLTRIN

eupher dude <eupher61 at hotmail.com> wrote:

I will never claim to be the world's most accurate tempo keeper, but I'm amazed at some of the things I hear on recordings. (Including one I'm on, but I have little ability to do anything with that group...)

A Scoby/Clancy Hayes recording of "Down in Jungle Town", it's pretty doggone fast to start with, then the drummer takes a solo chorus--and the tempo kicks up noticeably, I'd guess 15 bpm or so. Minimally.

I've heard similar things on so many recordings...frankly it seems like banjo and drum solos are the most frequent instances where tempo just takes off. Sorry, guys, that's just the way it is. (ducks)

It's also interesting to notice tempo differences within the same band, or at least same players or influences. I have versions of " Friendless Blues" by Watters (with Turk), 2 by Turk, and one by Bob Schulz' band, obviously with lots of Turk overtones. The Schulz version is the slowest, the Watters next, then the older Turk, and the later Turk is the fastest of the 4. I have a couple of alternate recordings by the Salty Dogs too, and there really isn't as much difference in them.

I do notice that most pickup bands tend to do things a lot faster than those bands that are together more, too. There are obvious exceptions.

Just an excuse to post...

steve