[Dixielandjazz] Concierto de Aranjuez

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jul 11 02:36:42 PDT 2008

Tomorrow night, our band will be playing a concert in a town to the south of
Madrid (40 minutes) called Aranjuez.  Some of you classical music people may
recognize that name from the guitar & orquestra piece called "El Concierto
de Aranjuez" (written by Joaquin Rodrigo).  Well, our Concierto will be
somewhat different, particularly since the stage is set up in the local bull
fighting ring!

The reason for mentioning this is that I have given one radio interview (by
phone), and am awaiting a second radio station to call soon.  The concerts,
covering a range from Pop to Flamenco (& hitting a bit of jazz, too, with
ourselves featured tomorrow), form part of a city sponsored "summer concert
series".  And, it seems that the local radio stations are geared up for
proper promotion.  They've been calling me...no prompting from myself there.

As usual during interviews, the question came up about Jazz being a
"minority" music.  Silly statement, as we don't expect to be up to the
acceptance levels of Julio Iglesias, or his son!  But, we've got a nice
chunk of that "minority" out there, and will have no problem getting a
decent crowd into the bull ring.

With nightime temperatures hitting around 90 to 95 degrees F at the moment,
it should be pleasant for the audience...and, less pleasant for ourselves.
This will be a large "rock & roll " stage with the huge amps, speakers, and
monstrous (& hot!) lighting rigs.  Don't need to go to the gym to lose
weight sweating, at least!  Concert begins at 11pm, which is just after the
dinner hour here in Spain (which is around 10pm).

Jim